Thursday, May 6, 2010

Travel from St John, New Brunswick to Digby, Nova Scotia

May 5th - I was excited to start this day, not only because I was heading to Nova Scotia to see a couple good friends...I was excited (nervous) about putting the Corvette inside the belly of a ship. Here's some of the related pictures. - - - The map picture below shows the route we took, from Saint John, New Brunswick - across the Bay of Fundy - to Digby, Nova Scotia. While I'm not sure of the exact distance, the travel took right at 3 hours. The second picture shows the "Princess of Acadia" ferry at the dock, ready to load up.

The pictures below show me driving the Corvette into the body of the ship. I was nervous, but everyone was so nice helping make sure I didn't bottom out AND they placed the car close to the front so I wouldn't be surrounded by large trucks that might spill something....like one Mercedes Benz that was covered in fish-gut goo when we left. (I would have died if that happened to the Vette!)


Once on board, and once I was past most of the smell of fish and poo, the inside of the ship actually was pretty nice. There were a couple types of lounge; slot machines; a coffee shop; and a cafeteria. In the lounge shown, they also showed a movie while in transit.


While it might just be the American in me, I totally enjoyed the signage which were written in English and French. I also noted that some of the French words were much closer to the image than the English couterpart. (Example - "Nursery")
For less informed travels (like me) there were a wide variety of signs all over the ship that showed interesting information about the area and the ship.
Here's a fair picture of the St John Harbor lighthouse. I was still a fair distance away when I took the picture so it's not a clear as I'd hoped.
While it was a little cool, the weather was nice, especially as we got closer to Nova Scotia. I was taking pictures of all sorts of other ships when another passenger offered to take a shot of me with the tug boat in the background.

View back toward Saint John.

Pictures of a fishing boat and the shoreline of Nova Scotia as we pulled into the docking area.

While the seas were calm overall, the ship did rock back and forth a little, so I was ready to leave and hit the road. The first picture shows the nose of the ship just starting to open, then me driving out. This was a VERY fun time and I'm glad I chose to experience it.

No comments:

Post a Comment